Saturday, October 11, 2008

DUMB DIGITAL - Offended ?

I recently set up a twitter account - it's not a week old yet and I'm genuinely surprised that I have already received many followers. I embedded this Whoopi Goldberg Video here for reasons which may become obvious.

As with so much social media, I was required to offer the usual username, password, info, and a one line bio. Fine. We all have to do that, later we often go back and tweak that info. Well I do.

My one line twitter bio initially said, 'dumb digital paddy'. In parts of the UK, 'Paddy' is a label that would be easily given, in some instances as a term of endearment from boisterous 'Brits' or scallywag 'scousers', a jovial cultural classification from Good hearted Geordies, etc, I'm sure that slang interpretation of the term 'Paddy' has entered the British lexicon.

A mate read my blog but said he wouldn't f**king subscribe to my f**king twitter, he wouldn't get an account or follow me simply because I was demeaning the Irish Identity by calling myself, a 'dumb digital paddy'. " Irony is not your favorite subject ?" clevercelt asks, erm nope, he prefers his 'PADDY' as a racist slogan of condescension, even though his name actually is Paddy and he too is Irish.

I changed my bio, because I'm sure there are other sensitive paddy's out there that wear their own form of ractist glassess and thus colour their opinions accordingly, I have no desire to offend anyone, so I changed my 1 line bio to Dumb Digital Mick.

Now in the USA & elsewhere, they don't refer to Irish People as 'Paddy's' they call them 'Micks' but since my name is Michael and I have been called Mick by my close friends for over 40 years, then Paddy can go ' F... F... Find himself' (-:





No comments: